About 4 months after we had been married, we found out we were expecting our forst baby! Our due date was February 9, 2009, just a few days before our first wedding anniversary. We were both a little nervous, but more excited than anything. I had always wanted to be a Mommy and now it was finally coming true.
I felt fine the first 7 weeks... Then the lovely morning sickness kicked in. I didn't have it as bad as some girls, but it was definitely there. I was mostly just sick in the morning and evening, so I could work without having too many problems. The key was to get lots of rest and keep something in my tummy, or I would feel really sick.
It did not seem real until we heard the heartbeat at the first doctors appointment on July 30, 2008. It was so neat to hear another heartbeat in me! I think Mike and I both teared up a bit. What an amazing gift to be able to create another human being! It is truly mind boggling.
On September 24, 2008 we found out we were having a little boy. Up until this point I was sure we were having a girl and most everyone I talked to guessed we were having a girl too. I was so nervous that the Dr. would not be able to tell what the sex was so i was drinking water and juice all morning to make sure he would be moving around. We had no problems finding out the sex. He was not at all shy about showing us his little "DOO-DAD". That is what the ultra sound tech called his penis. It was hilarious. I was so excited to be having a little boy!
The Ultra sound tech not only found a baby boy she also found a great big cyst on my right ovary. They were a little concerned about it but they just wanted to keep an eye on it to make sure it was not growing. I ended up getting 3 ultra sounds.
After we found out that we were expecting a boy I could finally start planning. We had a few names picked out: Nathan, Grant, and Lincoln. We both liked Lincoln the most so we started calling him that, and it stuck for pretty much the whole pregnancy.
The months went by and things were moving along just fine. I was healthy and the baby was growing and healthy, as well. I was seeing Dr. Wolsey until around the end of November when he told me he would not be here to deliver my baby because he was going on a mission. I was so sad because he was the Dr. that delivered me and I really wanted to have him deliver Lincoln. But it did not work out that way. I switched in my 34th week to Dr. Dewey.
The last month of pregnancy was going by so slowly. It felt as if it was the whole nine months all over again. I tried everything possible to get Lincoln here a little early. I walked, did squats, and rocked on my hands and knees, but nothing seemed to be working. At my Dr. appointment on the 9th, yes my due date, I tried to convince my Dr to induce me that day. He said that he would not induce me until the 16th at the earliest. I had to wait a whole week. I was so depressed.
On the 12th, 3 days over my due date, I was desperate. I had heard that acupuncture could help you go into labor, so I had my Mom make me an appointment with her acupuncturist. Nothing happened, so on Friday the 13th I went to the chiropractor with my Mom to see if there was anything that he could do to help me. He adjusted my ankle's and sure enough I went into labor that night around 8 p.m.
I slept until 12 a.m. waking up with painful period type contractions. I was counting the space of time between the contractions: they were about 5 min apart but not super intense. They started getting closer and a little stronger around 2 a.m. I called the hospital and they said to wait a few more hours to see if they were closer together and a little more intense. Around 5 a.m. I called the hospital again and they said to come on in and get evaluated. They said there was a chance of me being sent home but it was better to come in and get checked out.
We called Our parents to wish them a happy Valentines day, and to let them know I was in labor and then headed to the hospital. We arrived at the Utah Valley Medical Center at 6:30 a.m. on our one year anniversary! What are the odds of that? They admitted me, took us to the room I would deliver in, and hooked me up to all the machines.
When the nurse checked me, I was already dilated to a 4. She said that the contractions were not very regular even though I felt like they were pretty close together. But what did I know? I had never done this before. Finally we figured out that the machine was not picking up all of my contractions, so I was right! They were really close together. The nurse was still unsure if I would be staying though, because she could not get a hold of Dr. Dewey yet and the Doctor on call was delivering a baby, so she said to just hang tight for a while. After a while the Dr. on call came in and said that since I was at a 4 he would break my water. The nurse checked me again, and I was at a 6.
The Dr. broke my water and found that the baby had merconium mixed with the amniotic fluid, which is when the baby has a bowel movement in the womb. They explained that there would be a few extra nurses in the room when the baby was born to make sure he had not inhaled or swallowed any.
The nurse then asked if I wanted my epidural. I said not yet, but then I had a really bad contraction and changed my mind. They called the anesthesiologist he was there within 15 minutes putting my epidural in. I was so nervous to have a huge needle in my back, but I did not feel one thing, not even the numbing shot.
By about 2:30 I was at a full ten centimeters. Once I started pushing the nurse was sure the baby was posterior, which is when the baby is facing the wrong way (face up). After I had pushed for about an hour the Dr. Dewey came and tried to turn him with the forceps, which sent me in to an anxiety attack. I could not settle down after that. It felt like he was ripping my baby apart inside of me.
With no success he left me to push for another hour. Not much happened in that hour. The Dr. came back and said he was going to try and deliver me with forceps and if that does not work he would have to do an emergency C-section. I did not want a C-section and by this point I was almost in hysterics. I had Mike and my Dad give me a priesthood blessing.
The Dr. came back in with the forceps and within minuets Lincoln was born at 5:15 p.m. It was the best feeling to have him out of there. I felt my belly just flop after he was delivered. When I looked up to see him, he was purple and not making any noise. I was really nervous.
When they took him and suctioned and cleaned him, I heard him cry. It was the best sound I had ever heard! They thought he might have to go to the NICU because he wasn't turning a good rosy color very quickly, but they let me hold him first and he was fine after that.
It was love at first site. The poor little guy had an inch and a half bump on his head form hitting my pubic bone every time I pushed. It healed very quickly by his 2 week check up you would have never known it was there. Lincoln Michael Washburn was finally here! Mike and I were thrilled along with all of our family and friends. Happy Valentine's Day, Happy Anniversary, and Happy Birthday Lincoln! I think this day was destiny for us!
About Me
- The Washburns
- United States
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment